Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
After Fire Damage
Our team at SERVPRO of Peoria/West Glendale is ready to help you after holiday season fire damage. The potential risk for a fire is higher during the winter holiday season. Christmas trees catch fire, a candle is left lit or a stove fire erupts while cooking. If an unfortunate event happens during your holidays, like fire damage, our team is available 24/7, 365 days a year, even on holidays. We will be on the job in no time ready to restore your property "Like it never even happened."
While you wait for our team to arrive, below are a few tips to guide you and get you started on the cleaning process.
Safety should be your number one priority. Verify the property has been deemed "all clear" by your local fire department before reentering.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (623) 376-9779
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.